Efficiency Maine offers instant rebates for eligible battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) at participating car dealers in Maine. Eligible vehicles purchased directly from a manufacturer that does not have an authorized dealer in Maine can receive mail-in rebates. Explore the links on the side of the page to learn more about EVs, charging, and more.
|Type of Vehicle||Individuals, Businesses, Organizations||Qualified Low-Income Maine Resident*||Maine Governmental Entity or Tribal Government*|
|Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV)||$2,000||$3,000||$7,500|
|Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV)||$1,000||$1,500||$2,000|
*Qualified Low-Income Maine Residents, Maine Governmental Entities, and Tribal Governments must receive pre-approval, verifying the customer’s eligibility, in the form of a letter from Efficiency Maine prior to the purchase or lease of an EV in order to receive the enhanced rebate amount. Maine Businesses and nonprofits must show proof of “Good Standing” from the Maine Secretary of State’s website prior to the purchase or lease of an EV. The person identified as a Qualified Low-Income Maine Resident, Maine Governmental Entity or Tribal Government in a pre-approval must be the same person or entity who purchases or leases and registers the eligible EV.
Find a Participating Dealer
Following is a summary of the requirements that a vehicle must meet to be eligible for a rebate. Click here for complete program details.
- Be a model of BEV or PHEV that, at the time of the purchase or lease, appears on Efficiency Maine’s list of eligible vehicles.
- Have a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $50,000 or less, minus destination/delivery charges. For Tesla customers, the total Purchase Price must not exceed $50,000 after the deduction of delivery, destination, document, and order fees. No other discounts, deductions, credits or rebates are to be counted in the eligibility determination calculation.
- Must be a new vehicle.
- Must have an Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) warranty that fully covers the battery and electric drivetrain.
- Must be purchased or leased from a Participating Dealer for use and operation in Maine. For makes of vehicles that do not have an authorized franchised dealer in Maine, the vehicle can be purchased or leased directly from an OEM for use and operation in Maine.
- Must be purchased or leased on or after August 29, 2019, and prior to the date of the Program’s termination, as noticed to Participating Dealers and on the Efficiency Maine website, or on December 21, 2021, whichever comes first.
To receive an Efficiency Maine EV rebate, an applicant must be either an individual Maine resident (permanent Maine driver’s license required) or a business or nonprofit entity in “Good Standing,” authorized to do business in Maine and with an office in the state.
Enhanced rebates are available for qualified low income Maine residents, Maine governmental entities and tribal governments. These applicants must present pre-approval letters issued by Efficiency Maine to a participating dealer at the time of purchase or lease to receive an enhanced rebate. If you think you are eligible, click the following links to apply for pre-approval:
Terms and Conditions
Participants must sign and submit a copy of the Purchaser Agreement at the point of purchase or lease to the dealer or to Efficiency Maine directly within 30 days of the transaction (if the vehicle is purchased or leased directly from an OEM for which there is no authorized franchised dealer in Maine). Click here to review the EV Purchaser Agreement for all terms and conditions and complete instructions for the EV Rebate Application Process.